Bạn cần hỗ trợ?

Work in the United States with a Vietnamese degree

Not everyone comes to the United States to study and then enter the labor market with a US qualification. So if you come to the United States with a degree abroad (Vietnam, for example), can you find a professional job? Or can you even find a job in the United States from abroad?

- Masters. Ho Dac Nguyen Nga -

Before going into details, I would like to list some background information:

There is no law banning practicing in the United States with foreign qualifications.

Some careers in the United States, in addition to qualifications, require a practice certificate. For example, Y, Pharmacy, Law, Construction, etc. Therefore, you must take these certifications just like graduates in the United States.

US companies are very pragmatic. If you do better than others, they are willing to take you to work.

US law protects indigenous peoples' work, so the number of foreigners working in the United States is limited. In addition, if companies want to recruit foreigners, they must prove that they are not recruiting natives for that job and that they are not paid less than the prevailing wage. This is to avoid low-cost foreign workers who affect US workers. This applies only to foreigners. If you come to the United States on a permanent basis, you do not need to be concerned about this.

Every year, the United States allocates about 85,000 visas to foreigners working abroad (H1 visa), not counting those who do not need quotas as university professors. Of which 20,000 first visas are preferred for holders of Master's or Master's degrees in the United States. In addition to those who have degrees in the United States, a great many are foreigners with a foreign qualification, most are engineers from India.

In addition, the United States provides J1 Visas for trainees and scholars to exchange short-term work.

Although there are no official figures, I find that the number of Vietnamese graduates in the United States has increased in recent years, but in a modest amount compared to India, China, South Korea. . Some come to settle down and do the right thing in Vietnam, some are recruited from Vietnam to work here. Here are the stories I know:

One day, he ate with a group of friends at the Faculty of Civil Engineering, Saigon Polytechnic University in Fremont, California. Sitting there are also a dozen old friends studying with me are working construction engineers in the United States with the building of the Polytechnic. These friends come to the United States in different ways but have in common the practice of practicing and practicing in the United States as well as graduates in the United States.

Some of my friends are recruited from Vietnam to work for high-tech companies in Silicon Valley and oil companies with H1 visas.

Some of you are coming to the US to take CPA, CFA and accounting and finance.

Some graduates in Vietnam and then through the United States do internships with J1 visa and then find a formal job with H1 visa.

If you graduated from pharmacy in Vietnam, you can take the Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Examination Committee (FPGEC) Certification and practice in the United States.

Some medical graduates in Vietnam pass the National Board Exams, residency, and State Law exams, then practice medicine in the United States as well as doctors in the United States. Medical education in the United States costs 10 years and averages $ 300K. Medical education in Vietnam costs 6 years. Is it too hard? Here are the credentials of her primary care doctor (Kaiser Permanente): Medical Education - University of Yangon Institute of Medicine, Yangon, Myanmar; Residency - University of Nevada School of Medicine Las Vegas, Las Vegas, NV; Board Certification - Internal Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine

Of course going to school, graduating in the United States and then finding a job in the United States will be more favorable. But if you graduate in Vietnam or another country, you can find the right job if you can really do the job and try to fit in and practice.

(Source: Newspaper of No. 431, issued on August 20, 2017)


HOTLINE: +84 1800 6972 (FREE CALL)

Head Office

Address: 21 Mai Thi Luu, Dakao Ward, District 1, HCMC​

District 1 Branch - HCMC

Address: 28C Mai Thi Luu, Dakao Ward, District 1, HCMC​

Tan Phu District Branch - HCMC

Address: 445 Luy Ban Bich, Hiep Tan Ward, Tan Phu District, HCMC

Da Nang Branch

Address: 272 Nguyen Van Linh, Thac Gian Ward, Thanh Khe District, Da Nang City