Intensive English at Mission College
Mission College is unique because many community college do not have their own intensive English language programs. However,we do. It is call “ the Institute for International Studies” or “IIS”. Since 1997, it has provided highquality intensive English instruction to international students who need to improve their proficiency to enter Mission College or West Valley College, our sister school.
Mission College is unique because many community college do not have their own intensive English language programs. However,we do. It is call “ the Institute for International Studies” or “IIS”. Since 1997, it has provided highquality intensive English instruction to international students who need to improve their proficiency to enter Mission College or West Valley College, our sister school. Students who simply wish to improve their English skills are also welcome. All IIS classes are held on the College’s campus, and students enjoy the same privileges as all Mission College students.
The features of IIS include:
1. 5 admission dates per year (January, March, June, September and October),
2. 8-week or 16-week sessions, 10-week summer session
3. 20 hours a week of instruction with all skill areas taught,
4. 6 hour a week of lab work in the state-of-the art language laboratory
5. Instructors who hold Master’s Degrees and have many years of experience,
6. 4-proficiency levels focusing on college preparation,
7. Duel admission to the intensive program and the degree program, so students are assured they can begin college students after meeting the language requirement,
8. A no-TOEFL Mission College admission option available to students who successfully complete our highest level,
9. Small classes with personal attention from instructors,
10. Orientation to and preparation for the transiton to full-time college students,
11. Full-time, full-service office that offers all admission, advising and counseling support,
12. Cross-cultural activities, field trips, clubs and more.
IIS Mission Statemment
The Institue for International Studies (IIS) provides high quality ESL instruction, cross-cutural activities, and support services for international students who would like to improve their English for college preparation or other personal and professional goals. IIS offers an innovative learning environment conducive to building academic, cultural, and language skills necessary for success in American college and professional settings.
Admission Requirements for Intensive English
New students should:
1. Be at least 17 ½ years old and graduate from high school before they attend
2. Have at least a 2.5 grade point average from high school or other colleges attended
3. No TOEFL or IELTS score required.
Brief Details: Tuition and Fees for Intensive Engish Program
*Students may register for 8 or 16 weeks; however, expenses are calculated on a 12-month stay regardless of the length of stay in the program. $19,000 is an estimate for one year. Students may spend more or less than that amout.
** $100 is a non-refundable application fee. $500 is a deposit that is applied to your tuition and is refundable if you cancel at least 2 weeks before the start of the term.
***Mission College does not have on-campus housing. Therefore, the cost of housing will differ and depends on what kind of housing arrangement each student choose. Note that the San Francisco Bay Area;s cost of living is higher than that of other areas in the United States.
Brief Details: Program Dates
*Student who are inside the U.S (transfer or change of status): check our application on the website for application deadlines.
For full details, including deadlines, start dates, and application procedures, please see our application. It is available on our website or on paper through the International Student Center.
Mission College does not have any on-campus housing. Also, it does not have a Housing Coordinator. The International Student Center suggest that new students choose a homestay at least until they become familiar with this area. Host families can also provide airport pick-up at San Francisco International Airport (SFO). Contact ISP Homestays directly at: www.isphomestays.com
We do not recommend using a website to find an off-campus apartment because new students are not familiar with the neighborhoods in this area. Also, the advertised prices do not include electricity, internet, rental deposits, etc. Students who have additional housing questions should contact the office at firstname.lastname@example.org.